17) Inside the smallest, nested square, place the point of the compasses at the intersection of the main vertical and horizontal lines, at the very centre of the square.25) Move the compasses to the NW corner. Open them along the diagonal, to the SE corner and draw another arc. Repeat steps 23 &24 but with the square that surrounds the largest circle.
18) Open the compasses so that the lead just touches the side of the small square. Draw a circle.
19) Keeping the compasses open at the same radius, move the point of the compasses to the point where the central vertical line cuts the side of the biggest square that is inside the circle. This point is marked in blue on the diagram.
20)Draw a circle. Repeat at the opposite side.
21) Move the point of the compasses to where the central horizontal cuts the side of the biggest square that is inside the circle. With the radius the same as before, draw a circle.
22) Repeat on the opposite side.
23) Now move the point of the compasses to the NE corner of the biggest square inside the circle. Open the arms of the compasses along the diagonal, so that the lead touches the SW corner of the same square.
24) Draw an arc so that it cuts the right hand vertical line.
Draw a line across to these two new arcs to complete the outer, bounding rectangle.
26) Draw a light line across these two arcs (dashed line in the diagram). Place the point of the compasses at the point where the central vertical line crosses it.
27) With the compasses at the same radius as the small circles drawn insteps 18 - 22, draw an arc across the central vertical line.
28) Move the compasses to the point where this new, small arc cuts the central vertical line. Draw a circle.
29) With the same radius, draw a circle at each of the four corners of the outer, bounding rectangle.
30) Inside the central, small circle, draw a square by joining the NESW points at the central horizontal & vertical lines. Inside this draw another square across the NE, SE, SW,NW points where the diagonal lines cut the sides of the square.
31) Draw another square inside this, across NESW and another inside this across NE SE SW NW.
32) With the point of the compasses at the very centre of the nested squares, draw one circle inside the very smallest square and another around the 2nd square.out.
33) Draw circles of these two radii inside the other circles. The circles at the four corners of the bounding rectangle only need the larger of the larger of these two circles
Know How > Illuminated Manuscript Carpet Pages > Illuminated Manuscript Carpet Page Framework 2 >